Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Groove mechanics
#7
(10-20-2019, 01:50 PM)XORadmin Wrote:
(10-20-2019, 01:27 PM)nikizi Wrote:
(10-20-2019, 01:05 PM)XORadmin Wrote:
(10-20-2019, 09:59 AM)nikizi Wrote:
(10-18-2019, 06:11 AM)swashplate Wrote: Have you heard the term pulse per quarter notes? Its basically number of pulses needed to play a quarter note.
For eurorack standart its 4ppqn for example. So each pulse is a 16th note, and MIDI standart is 24ppqn afaik. So you can play triplets and such over midi.
Nerdseq uses the same 24ppqn standart so to make each step equal to 16th notes you need 6 pulses for each step, ergo Groove column.
For example if you set groove 8 it will play as 16th triplet, or 9 to play 16th dotted.
You can also get wonky ryhtyms by changing groove value every step.

Hey Swash thanks for your answer. No I didn't hear about it but now I get it.
Is there any ressources that say exactly what number of pulses equals to what ?
Do you know why this interval "5/7/5/7/5/6" is ending by 6 in the manual example ?
I'd really like to understand the mechanics of the groove column
Thank you 

In the manual it stays at 5/7/5/7/5.  

In the basics, if you think about a 4 on the floor beat, where the bassdrum is on every 4th step, and you apply a 24ppqn clock, then it means that each step needs 6 ticks until it gets to the next step. And for 4 steps (where the beat is) it needed 24 ticks.
That means the internal clock of the NerdSEQ runs faster than just for each step. And the power is, that you can choose youself how many ticks are needed per step. You could get other timings and triplets with it (though, i think using the multipliers/dividers are probably better and easier than to use the grooves). And you can get odd timings as well which even can be so odd that tracks can run out of sync to each other.

For the 7/5/7/5/7/5 example just means one step needs 7 ticks and the next needs 5 ticks, which stays straight again like 6/6/6/6/6/6. But cause of the different step length, it gets this swing/groove effect because one note/beat starts just a bit earlier while the other just starts a bit later.
Hey Admin, thanks for your answer
My bad the quote I refered to is not in the manual

I understand everything is a multiple of 4 by definition of the ppqn unit
Then how could I translate machine grooves (like the MPC) into the NerdSeq ? Is it possible to come close ?
If not possible via the groove column, would that be possible to record grooves via midi from Ableton ?
Also, I'm not sure I understood how it would be easier with mults/divs in my case

Thanks for your time !

I don't know what machine grooves are? Is it even the same thing?
You can record into the steps through midi, so i don't think any groove information will be kept. It's not a CV or Midi recorder but mainly a step sequencer with step recoring functions.

As for basic shuffle or grooves, the NerdSEQ is very capable to do them, but on top of it much more as you can change each step individually and do stuff like, 4 steps shuffle, 8 steps straight, 2 steps fast, 2 steps slow etc...

I think that most of the time it's a knob going from 16th which gradually increases the groove to 16th triplets
The groove can be very subtle, or more obvious when it gets close to triplets
I understand that the NerdSeq groove column is much more powerful than a random groove/swing knob as you can change each step individually, and create more complex, odd rythms
What would happen to the NerdSeq if it's sync to an external clock via his clock input, with already the groove in it ? I'm thinking about the Clocked Module from VCV Rack wich allows that. But I don't have the hardware (yet) to try.
Reply


Messages In This Thread
Groove mechanics - by nikizi - 10-17-2019, 05:58 PM
RE: Groove mechanics - by swashplate - 10-18-2019, 06:11 AM
RE: Groove mechanics - by nikizi - 10-20-2019, 09:59 AM
RE: Groove mechanics - by XORadmin - 10-20-2019, 01:05 PM
RE: Groove mechanics - by nikizi - 10-20-2019, 01:27 PM
RE: Groove mechanics - by XORadmin - 10-20-2019, 01:50 PM
RE: Groove mechanics - by nikizi - 10-20-2019, 03:20 PM
RE: Groove mechanics - by XORadmin - 10-21-2019, 12:16 PM
RE: Groove mechanics - by nikizi - 10-21-2019, 01:42 PM
RE: Groove mechanics - by Holon Mundi - 10-22-2019, 08:22 AM
RE: Groove mechanics - by XORadmin - 10-22-2019, 08:32 AM
RE: Groove mechanics - by Holon Mundi - 10-22-2019, 08:50 AM

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)