Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
My first video (finally)
#12
(01-30-2022, 10:04 AM)mgd Wrote: Nicely done. The non-retro voicing sounds more interesting to my ears [you own an impressive lineup of stuff Smile ]

Thanks! In the end I enjoyed that voicing the most also, though I do have a soft spot for when the NES triangle fades in. Smile

I had originally intended to cut between the two sets of voices at moments appropriate to the piece, and a few run-throughs of that by hand did have the result I was looking for, but even just building up and tweaking the voices took so much effort (as I’m sure you know very well) that along the way I decided to run the NerdSEQ project unmodified and just blend back and forth. I needed to get things over and done with. Smile Heck, even just warming up and tuning everything was enough of a pain at times that occasionally I would just skip a day or three of working on it.

(01-30-2022, 10:04 AM)mgd Wrote: One thing that occurred to me w/r to my original project after having discussed this with my father in law over xmas is, that my use of the LFOs for vibrato does destroy the harmonics. At least to some extend. Especially some of the faster parts do sound ever so slightly out of tune.

It’s definitely a tough call. At one point I actually modified all of the modulator settings in the file to tone down the vibrato quite a bit. Later, though, once I had the voices better tuned and calibrated I was able to revert to the original file and had even better results.

(01-30-2022, 10:04 AM)mgd Wrote: I therefor am currently working on refining the projects to enhance the vibrato. I have two possible solutions:
1) Use my newly acquired Droid to create delayed vibrato (basic patch works and sounds nice). However I lack stackable patch cables to do this just now for all voices.
2) After seeing what the delayed vibrato created by the Droid looks like on the scope I realized, I probably could achieve (almost) the same using FX inside the NerdSEQ.

I will definitely try out 2) and if I consider it an improvement post updated versions of the projects in this thread.

My standing DROID patches actually have delayed vibrato capability built into them (via a sort of mod-wheel-style CV input for each of their supported voices,) but I couldn’t bring it to bear on this effort without a bunch of work modifying the NerdSEQ project and/or patching up comparators I don’t have. Reason being that they depend on feeding the DROIDs with gates and specific mod input.

I think you can probably get there within the NerdSEQ, though for very subtle vibrato you’ll start to bump into the resolution of its CV outputs. (Which is one of a few reasons my other patches achieve that using the DROIDs.)

(01-30-2022, 10:04 AM)mgd Wrote: In any case, I like your version and enjoyed watching it. The idea to use envelopes for greater blinkenlights factor is cool!

Thanks so much. It was quite an adventure, and at times a pain in the ass, but it was worth it. I got to patch up some styles of voices I don’t often, was able to explore some modules further than I had to date and/or into areas I’d not before, and I got to see both a) how simply one can approximate these sounds and, yet, b) how far one would have to go to truly nail them.

Anyone who’s curious should do an image search for a violin waveform, or for bowed string instrument waveforms more generally. They’re quite interesting, and you’ll surely start imagining what it might take to reproduce one. (Though the real surprises come in when you scope it up and find some “cheats” that can keep the module count down.)

There’s also a pile of great reading out there regarding the various resonant frequencies of these instruments, amateur and professional preferences as to exact frequencies of each, etc. Quite fascinating stuff, really.



(01-30-2022, 03:03 PM)XORadmin Wrote: This is getting out of control......I LOVE IT!!

Both did a great job and I can't wait to hear even more ones.

Thanks Thomas! I can’t wait to try another as well, though likely a smaller one. Much smaller. Big Grin

(Having grown the system overly quickly, my plan for 2022 has, for several months now, been to distill it down to the simplest and most productive system I can without breaking my own heart. It’s wonderful, and I feel very fortunate, to have been able to build this thing up, and it is great having all these options, but the complexity and choice paralysis is quite crippling, and my productive output inversely related to total HP. I now have the range of things I wanted to explore, but now it is time to truly determine which I need, not to mention moving some capabilities out of modular.)
Reply


Messages In This Thread
My first video (finally) - by mgd - 12-11-2021, 04:10 PM
RE: My first video (finally) - by Friend of Dogs - 12-11-2021, 04:17 PM
RE: My first video (finally) - by XORadmin - 12-11-2021, 11:24 PM
RE: My first video (finally) - by mvdirty - 12-12-2021, 04:32 PM
RE: My first video (finally) - by mgd - 12-12-2021, 05:02 PM
RE: My first video (finally) - by mvdirty - 12-13-2021, 04:24 PM
RE: My first video (finally) - by mgd - 12-13-2021, 06:01 PM
RE: My first video (finally) - by JX3D - 12-16-2021, 12:11 AM
RE: My first video (finally) - by mvdirty - 01-30-2022, 02:57 AM
RE: My first video (finally) - by mgd - 01-30-2022, 10:04 AM
RE: My first video (finally) - by mvdirty - 01-30-2022, 03:34 PM
RE: My first video (finally) - by XORadmin - 01-30-2022, 03:03 PM
RE: My first video (finally) - by mgd - 02-09-2022, 01:17 PM

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)