02-08-2022, 11:02 AM
(10-01-2021, 12:45 AM)depaffect Wrote: The Quad Operator seems a lot more flexible than the Akemie's Castle. So unless you want that nasty OPL3 sound, that would surely be a better option. And it doesn't seem to lack any CV control.
I do love my Akemie's Castle though! It's super fun and has a lot of character. And the knobs are nice to mess with - I don't like those little knobs that the Quad Operator has. Looks cramped.
I remember the 80's when I first got my hands on a DX7. The DX7 also has a similar type of "nasty" sound that Akemie's has. I feel warmth towards that sound quality due my fond memories of that heritage. It's got real character. It's so Drexciyan.
I have never had a chance to use Quad Operator but I really like the look of the more flexible routing options. I would like to get one at some point.
One big feature that Akemie's Castle offers is the ability to generate chords. To me, that is a massive thing. Using Nerdseq, you can set the root with the CV and set the chord type with the Mod value. You can also use an additional output to control the inversion.

