Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Amend manual re MIDI note numbers
#3
(02-22-2022, 12:55 PM)XORadmin Wrote: Just FYI,

there is no exact definition of which midi note number should generate a note of a dedicated octave (not exactly defined at Midi.org, the only definition as far as I know is the middle position. I remember looking it up some years ago on the midi.org definitions and the discussions about it).

As you write, middle C (as of an 88-key Piano) is defined as MIDI Note #60. This is enough to define the precise frequency for all MIDI notes.

Middle c on an 88-key piano is c', i.e. the c below Kammerton a' (440 Hz or whatever reference tuning you prefer; for simplicity I'll stick to 440 Hz). Thus c' isĀ 261.63 Hz. All other values derive from that and thus MIDI note number #0 is C,,, at about 8.1 Hz.

I'm not aware of discussions disputing that. midi.org has a document describing midi tuning data where they specifically state these frequencies.

However I'm aware some vendors call middle c c3 while others name it c4. In NerdSEQ this seems to be C-5. Fine. I don't want to change that. Just documented Smile

Best wishes,
Michael
Reply


Messages In This Thread
Amend manual re MIDI note numbers - by mgd - 02-22-2022, 12:21 PM
RE: Amend manual re MIDI note numbers - by mgd - 02-22-2022, 01:40 PM
RE: Amend manual re MIDI note numbers - by mgd - 02-22-2022, 09:23 PM

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)