Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Multi-IO Expander
#1
Lets start a new thread now it is out of Beta and available.

Note: All the basic stuff about connecting I2C and information you need is provided in the Installation Guide which came with the Multi-IO and in the currently Preliminary Manual for V2.0.

- You got to enable the Multi-IO in the NerdSEQ Setup Menu. SHIFT+SETUP -> MIDI Expander, change this to Multi-IO. Leave the menu. It might be possible that you got to restart the NerdSEQ once.
- The Front I2C Port and Backside port A are the same and it uses the same Pullup
- Mostly use the 3.3Volt pullup or none if the other gear got already a pullup installed. You can start always without and see if it works reliably or if at all.
- ALWAYS turn all power off before you connect any I2C gear. That applies for the front and backside port
- The 16n and derivates (eg F8R) do scan for any I2C gear 10 seconds after its startup if they are set to leader mode. And if it missed that scan then it won't work. It is possible that it didn't scan the Multi-IO if the I2C port on the Multi was not configured for it. In that case you would configure first and then give the 16n a power cycle. Rule to follow: Use 16n -> NS then the 16n got to be in leader mode, Address to 31hex. If the 16n is set to follower mode then the NerdSEQ got to be set to NS -> 16n 1-16, the address is not important for it.
- No, a 2nd Midi Interface (TRA-A or classic Midi-IO) won't provide an additional Midi Port to the NerdSEQ.
- The encoder is not a push-button
PLEASE use the search function if something have been asked or discussed before.
Every (unnessesary) forum support means less time to develop! But of course, i am here to help!  Smile
Reply
#2
My Multi IO just arrived and absolutely loving it so far along with all the new firmware features!

I have one question, I'm trying to hook up a sweet sixteen mk2 via i2c to control parameters on the nerdseq, but I don't seem to be getting any response.

In the manual I can see it says "The NerdSEQ port
need to be set to address 0x31"

Just wondering where do I go to set the nerdseqs address to 0x31?

Sorry if this is a basic question, never used i2c before!
Reply
#3
(12-05-2023, 05:23 PM)cor909 Wrote: My Multi IO just arrived and absolutely loving it so far along with all the new firmware features!

I have one question, I'm trying to hook up a sweet sixteen mk2 via i2c to control parameters on the nerdseq, but I don't seem to be getting any response.

In the manual I can see it says "The NerdSEQ port
need to be set to address 0x31"

Just wondering where do I go to set the nerdseqs address to 0x31?

Sorry if this is a basic question, never used i2c before!

Project -> Midi/I2C setup and scroll all the way down
PLEASE use the search function if something have been asked or discussed before.
Every (unnessesary) forum support means less time to develop! But of course, i am here to help!  Smile
Reply
#4
So I have I2C A in address set to: Hex 1F Dec 31. Is this correct? I can't see anywhere that I can enter 0x31

Ahh sorry I'm an idiot! I didn't realise it was hex and decimal it was displaying! Have the hex set to 31 and it's working flawlessly!

Thanks for you help Thomas!
Reply
#5
(12-05-2023, 05:56 PM)cor909 Wrote: So I have I2C A in address set to: Hex 1F Dec 31. Is this correct? I can't see anywhere that I can enter 0x31

Ahh sorry I'm an idiot! I didn't realise it was hex and decimal it was displaying! Have the hex set to 31 and it's working flawlessly!

Thanks for you help Thomas!

Oh sorry I'm an idiot...0x31 is like 2nd language for me but totally from the view of the developer ;-)
31hex it is of course !
PLEASE use the search function if something have been asked or discussed before.
Every (unnessesary) forum support means less time to develop! But of course, i am here to help!  Smile
Reply
#6
Okay... setting up Multi-IO, please bear with me...

GOAL: F8R slider control of note probability on MIDI Track1... so I think F8R as 'leader' and NS as 'follower'

Nerdseq running 2.00 firmware
Multi-IO recognized as MIDI expander (on boot, X button is lit green and knob works for data entry)

Michigan Synth Works F8R connected to Multi-IO via I2C cable to I2C-B, cables are connected correctly; devices in same case.

In MIDI/I2C Setup...
I2C B Mode = 16N -> NS 1-16
I2C B In Address = Hex:31 Des:49

After save & reboot with this data, moving F8R fader does not register flashing red light on Multi-IO I2C B LED.

I'm stuck here ^

However, with the following configured in MIDI/I2C Setup...
I2C B Mode = NS -> 2x 16N 1-32
I2C B In Address = Hex:0 Des:0

... moving F8R fader does register flashing red light on Multi-IO I2C B LED.

Strangely, if I set I2C B Mode = NS -> 16N 1-16, there's no flashing red light again when moving F8R slider.

Thanks for the help!
Reply
#7
(12-06-2023, 05:00 AM)kriskeyman Wrote: Okay... setting up Multi-IO, please bear with me...

GOAL: F8R slider control of note probability on MIDI Track1... so I think F8R as 'leader' and NS as 'follower'

Nerdseq running 2.00 firmware
Multi-IO recognized as MIDI expander (on boot, X button is lit green and knob works for data entry)

Michigan Synth Works F8R connected to Multi-IO via I2C cable to I2C-B, cables are connected correctly; devices in same case.

In MIDI/I2C Setup...
I2C B Mode = 16N -> NS 1-16
I2C B In Address = Hex:31 Des:49

After save & reboot with this data, moving F8R fader does not register flashing red light on Multi-IO I2C B LED.

I'm stuck here ^

However, with the following configured in MIDI/I2C Setup...
I2C B Mode = NS -> 2x 16N 1-32
I2C B In Address = Hex:0 Des:0

... moving F8R fader does register flashing red light on Multi-IO I2C B LED.

Strangely, if I set I2C B Mode = NS -> 16N 1-16, there's no flashing red light again when moving F8R slider.

Thanks for the help!

The F8R is not set up correctly. You got to set it to be a leader.
PLEASE use the search function if something have been asked or discussed before.
Every (unnessesary) forum support means less time to develop! But of course, i am here to help!  Smile
Reply
#8
(12-06-2023, 06:07 AM)XORadmin Wrote:
(12-06-2023, 05:00 AM)kriskeyman Wrote: Okay... setting up Multi-IO, please bear with me...

GOAL: F8R slider control of note probability on MIDI Track1... so I think F8R as 'leader' and NS as 'follower'

Nerdseq running 2.00 firmware
Multi-IO recognized as MIDI expander (on boot, X button is lit green and knob works for data entry)

Michigan Synth Works F8R connected to Multi-IO via I2C cable to I2C-B, cables are connected correctly; devices in same case.

In MIDI/I2C Setup...
I2C B Mode = 16N -> NS 1-16
I2C B In Address = Hex:31 Des:49

After save & reboot with this data, moving F8R fader does not register flashing red light on Multi-IO I2C B LED.

I'm stuck here ^

However, with the following configured in MIDI/I2C Setup...
I2C B Mode = NS -> 2x 16N 1-32
I2C B In Address = Hex:0 Des:0

... moving F8R fader does register flashing red light on Multi-IO I2C B LED.

Strangely, if I set I2C B Mode = NS -> 16N 1-16, there's no flashing red light again when moving F8R slider.

Thanks for the help!

The F8R is not set up correctly. You got to set it to be a leader.

You are absolutely correct! Thank you!! Came here to post that I was able to get it working after doing so. For posterity...

To set F8R as leader...
1. With case powered off, connect F8R via USB
2. Go to online parameter editor from MSW site
3. Power on case
4. Download configuration json file
5. Open in text file and change 'i2cMaster' to true; save
6. Import json file and save

In MIDI/I2C Setup...
I2C B Mode = 16N -> NS 1-16
I2C B In Address = Hex:31 Des:49

Red light on Multi-IO expander when moving all faders now. Smile
Reply
#9
Love the Multi-IO expander! One question though. As the eurorack format is generally a "plug anything to anywhere" system, can plugging a CV signal to the I2C jack cause damage? I occasionally allow people to play with my system and I'm thinking of covering the front panel I2C jack.
Reply
#10
(12-06-2023, 01:11 PM)Avaruuskettu Wrote: Love the Multi-IO expander! One question though. As the eurorack format is generally a "plug anything to anywhere" system, can plugging a CV signal to the I2C jack cause damage? I occasionally allow people to play with my system and I'm thinking of covering the front panel I2C jack.

The inputs are protected but in general it wouldn't do harm to cover it. I was actually searching for covers but couldn't find them, else they would have been on there by default.
PLEASE use the search function if something have been asked or discussed before.
Every (unnessesary) forum support means less time to develop! But of course, i am here to help!  Smile
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)