Posts: 107
Threads: 31
Joined: May 2018
Reputation:
2
anyone here use the Assimil8or with the Nerdseq?
If you do, do you have the more triggers or more cv expander? I feel like you could make due with just the more CV + other modulators, but maybe im wrong. 16 triggers is a LOT of triggers.
Posts: 13
Threads: 4
Joined: May 2020
Reputation:
1
I have both expanders. My Assimil8or is in a different case and I haven't used them together but they would be a great match. I would use the CV expander but wouldn't feel the need for the trigger expander with the Assimila8or.
Posts: 107
Threads: 31
Joined: May 2018
Reputation:
2
(07-08-2022, 07:13 PM)akavalve Wrote: I have both expanders. My Assimil8or is in a different case and I haven't used them together but they would be a great match. I would use the CV expander but wouldn't feel the need for the trigger expander with the Assimila8or.
interesting, Thats kind of what I intuited. I figure the triggers are just too many
thanks akavalve
Posts: 478
Threads: 58
Joined: Dec 2020
Reputation:
35
(07-08-2022, 07:28 PM)Friend of Dogs Wrote: (07-08-2022, 07:13 PM)akavalve Wrote: I have both expanders. My Assimil8or is in a different case and I haven't used them together but they would be a great match. I would use the CV expander but wouldn't feel the need for the trigger expander with the Assimila8or.
interesting, Thats kind of what I intuited. I figure the triggers are just too many
thanks akavalve
I don't have an Assimil8or (yet). But I think I would use both trigger and CV with it (and I have several More CV 16 and one Trigger 16 expander...)
Posts: 107
Threads: 31
Joined: May 2018
Reputation:
2
(07-08-2022, 08:03 PM)mgd Wrote: (07-08-2022, 07:28 PM)Friend of Dogs Wrote: (07-08-2022, 07:13 PM)akavalve Wrote: I have both expanders. My Assimil8or is in a different case and I haven't used them together but they would be a great match. I would use the CV expander but wouldn't feel the need for the trigger expander with the Assimila8or.
interesting, Thats kind of what I intuited. I figure the triggers are just too many
thanks akavalve
I don't have an Assimil8or (yet). But I think I would use both trigger and CV with it (and I have several More CV 16 and one Trigger 16 expander...)
Yes that’s a consideration too. There’s so much modulation available for the thing. It’s almost asking for it
Posts: 7
Threads: 1
Joined: Jul 2022
Reputation:
0
Ive got the A8 and both the trigger and cv expanders - and Im still trying to figure out a good workflow. I like the triggers track because the drum matrix view makes sequencing triggers much simpler.
The problem is that you cant control the CV expander outputs from the more triggers track. You can use the local cv/mod outs from track FX but those are already used for other tracks. So if I want to have say, modulate velocity/volume per trigger, I need to have a cv track pattern running along side the trigger track pattern. This works, but it seems that you are limited to using 6 CV expander outputs per track.
You could do it the other way around and just use a CV expender track, but again, you are limited to 6 outputs. You can use FX from there to control more triggers as well and leave the CV columns for CV (not triggers), but programming triggers through track effects is no fun, especially compared to using the drum matrix view.
I just dont see a simple way to control the A8 with a single track and have all the per-trigger control.
My main use is wanting to be able to use the drum matrix view to trigger drum samples but also somehow map some triggers to a preset voltage that would be output from CV expander at the same time to control A8 channel zones. For example, I have 4 snare samples in a single channel spread across zones. The only way to really control all that is with two tracks, and even then you still have to make sure they run together.
Maybe I should post this to feature requests...
Posts: 38
Threads: 12
Joined: Sep 2022
Reputation:
0
(07-12-2022, 08:21 PM)subpopular Wrote: Ive got the A8 and both the trigger and cv expanders - and Im still trying to figure out a good workflow. I like the triggers track because the drum matrix view makes sequencing triggers much simpler.
The problem is that you cant control the CV expander outputs from the more triggers track. You can use the local cv/mod outs from track FX but those are already used for other tracks. So if I want to have say, modulate velocity/volume per trigger, I need to have a cv track pattern running along side the trigger track pattern. This works, but it seems that you are limited to using 6 CV expander outputs per track.
You could do it the other way around and just use a CV expender track, but again, you are limited to 6 outputs. You can use FX from there to control more triggers as well and leave the CV columns for CV (not triggers), but programming triggers through track effects is no fun, especially compared to using the drum matrix view.
I just dont see a simple way to control the A8 with a single track and have all the per-trigger control.
My main use is wanting to be able to use the drum matrix view to trigger drum samples but also somehow map some triggers to a preset voltage that would be output from CV expander at the same time to control A8 channel zones. For example, I have 4 snare samples in a single channel spread across zones. The only way to really control all that is with two tracks, and even then you still have to make sure they run together.
Maybe I should post this to feature requests...
Ah, man, I just got my NerdSeq a couple of days ago and have an A8 coming and I was just thinking about the setup conceptually and arriving at the same conclusions, but figured maybe I just wasn't knowledgable enough yet.
It would definitely be sweet to be able to set a More CV output from the trigger tracks in a pinch. I was planning to do almost exactly what you describe with selecting zone per step.
Posts: 7
Threads: 1
Joined: Jul 2022
Reputation:
0
(09-28-2022, 10:01 AM)visti Wrote: (07-12-2022, 08:21 PM)subpopular Wrote: Ive got the A8 and both the trigger and cv expanders - and Im still trying to figure out a good workflow. I like the triggers track because the drum matrix view makes sequencing triggers much simpler.
The problem is that you cant control the CV expander outputs from the more triggers track. You can use the local cv/mod outs from track FX but those are already used for other tracks. So if I want to have say, modulate velocity/volume per trigger, I need to have a cv track pattern running along side the trigger track pattern. This works, but it seems that you are limited to using 6 CV expander outputs per track.
You could do it the other way around and just use a CV expender track, but again, you are limited to 6 outputs. You can use FX from there to control more triggers as well and leave the CV columns for CV (not triggers), but programming triggers through track effects is no fun, especially compared to using the drum matrix view.
I just dont see a simple way to control the A8 with a single track and have all the per-trigger control.
My main use is wanting to be able to use the drum matrix view to trigger drum samples but also somehow map some triggers to a preset voltage that would be output from CV expander at the same time to control A8 channel zones. For example, I have 4 snare samples in a single channel spread across zones. The only way to really control all that is with two tracks, and even then you still have to make sure they run together.
Maybe I should post this to feature requests...
Ah, man, I just got my NerdSeq a couple of days ago and have an A8 coming and I was just thinking about the setup conceptually and arriving at the same conclusions, but figured maybe I just wasn't knowledgable enough yet.
It would definitely be sweet to be able to set a More CV output from the trigger tracks in a pinch. I was planning to do almost exactly what you describe with selecting zone per step.
Ive been playing with the DROID ecosystem of modules and having a lot of fun writing custom patches specifically for the NS and A8. One set up Im having fun with is NS more triggers track going to DROID, which sends a preset voltage for each trigger to zone CVs on A8. Theres so much potential for deeper control with NS and DROID, worth checking out.
Posts: 38
Threads: 12
Joined: Sep 2022
Reputation:
0
(09-28-2022, 07:23 PM)subpopular Wrote: (09-28-2022, 10:01 AM)visti Wrote: (07-12-2022, 08:21 PM)subpopular Wrote: Ive got the A8 and both the trigger and cv expanders - and Im still trying to figure out a good workflow. I like the triggers track because the drum matrix view makes sequencing triggers much simpler.
The problem is that you cant control the CV expander outputs from the more triggers track. You can use the local cv/mod outs from track FX but those are already used for other tracks. So if I want to have say, modulate velocity/volume per trigger, I need to have a cv track pattern running along side the trigger track pattern. This works, but it seems that you are limited to using 6 CV expander outputs per track.
You could do it the other way around and just use a CV expender track, but again, you are limited to 6 outputs. You can use FX from there to control more triggers as well and leave the CV columns for CV (not triggers), but programming triggers through track effects is no fun, especially compared to using the drum matrix view.
I just dont see a simple way to control the A8 with a single track and have all the per-trigger control.
My main use is wanting to be able to use the drum matrix view to trigger drum samples but also somehow map some triggers to a preset voltage that would be output from CV expander at the same time to control A8 channel zones. For example, I have 4 snare samples in a single channel spread across zones. The only way to really control all that is with two tracks, and even then you still have to make sure they run together.
Maybe I should post this to feature requests...
Ah, man, I just got my NerdSeq a couple of days ago and have an A8 coming and I was just thinking about the setup conceptually and arriving at the same conclusions, but figured maybe I just wasn't knowledgable enough yet.
It would definitely be sweet to be able to set a More CV output from the trigger tracks in a pinch. I was planning to do almost exactly what you describe with selecting zone per step.
Ive been playing with the DROID ecosystem of modules and having a lot of fun writing custom patches specifically for the NS and A8. One set up Im having fun with is NS more triggers track going to DROID, which sends a preset voltage for each trigger to zone CVs on A8. Theres so much potential for deeper control with NS and DROID, worth checking out.
That sounds pretty awesome - I've only very briefly looked at the DROID stuff, but I am very interested in scripting for modular. I do a lot of scripting things at work, so I have been looking into teletype, etc., but it seemed more hassle than it was worth. Could be that DROID stuff is what gets me there.
Posts: 5
Threads: 2
Joined: Oct 2021
Reputation:
0
Hi
Working heavily these days with NerdSeq and A8 for an upcoming live project.
Nerdseq is REALLY amazing, very few things you can't do with this beast.
For now I simply use modular tracks 1-4 to A8 slots 1-4. + sometimes other slots driven by the more CV expander.
Works like a charm, and it is a very powerful combination, because you can dial things really precisely with NS, especially when dealing with A8 Zones, PM, Aliasing, etc...
One thing to notice about A8, it expects voltages between -5 and +5 volts, everything above +5V is clipped to 5V. So to use all the available CV range, you need to flip the NS switches to the left (I even had to recalibrate my NS because of pitch issues, but now all is good).
|