Hi,
I'm mostly happy with nerdseq, in particular I love the sample tracks that have brought back the fun of breakbeat slicing for me. I love to use nerdseq like the clipview in ableton and enjoy editing the patterns live.
However, I'm frequently running into a few smaller issues that quickly cause disaster in a live situation. My biggest gripe is the input of the effects. While scrolling through the massive list of effects, these are already active and can cause huge mayhem (setting tempo, active playing pattern, break, ...) once the sequencer plays the step that is currently being edited.
I think this could be much improved by having a way to edit the effect in a separate menu and to commit the effect into the sequencer.
For example you could press OK on the effect field which brings up this menu. In this menu, the commands could be grouped together in multiple lines to allow quick access, for example for trigger commands, sample related effects, etc. The ones most likely to be used should be at the top for quick access. I would essentially imagine this as a 2D array of effect commands.
This means while you select the effect, it would not be active, but only go live once you press enter to insert it. In this screen you could also enter the actual effect values to avoid disaster while scrolling through, for example when setting up the sample offset. Maybe this could even be considered for the note column as well but I feel that note entry is much more fluent than effect values.
The most frequent way I run into this:
I set a BREAK command after 16 steps and then want to start slicing the break. But since BREAK now was the last active command, when I want to change sample offset somewhere I will instead insert BREAK. And at 170 bpm chances are high that your pattern then is thrown out of sync. Bonus points for accidentally triggering STSP in the process which basically means game over.
Another minor annoyance: when entering offset commands and you press shift + arrow up it will go to the highest possible value, however you cannot delete this value again but have to painstakingly scroll down both fields. (shift + down arrow down does not work). I feel like this behavior is wrong in multiple ways:
Using shift+down arrow on the effect column does not go all the way to zero either
And lastly, for convenience it would be nice when setting up the BPM value command if the bpm value could be displayed in decimal somewhere. I also noticed that the BPM value of nerdseq seems to be incorrect: When syncing elektron devices to nerdseq, they report a higher BPM than what nerdseq claims. Found the option to show the decimal value. It does not work for midi program change though. Wrong bpm was fixed by updating the firmware. I missed the the 1.21A update over 1.21.
Sorry for this long wall of text, I love my nerdseq despite these frustrations
edit: rembered two more suggestions:
It would be awesome to allow one of the CV inputs to be used to enter effect values / notes / etc that currently are under the cursor. I thought that Cursor CV would be the correct input but I cannot get it to work.
For the sample load menu it would be awesome if nerdseq would remember the last folder visited and maybe even remember the last sample selected.
I'm mostly happy with nerdseq, in particular I love the sample tracks that have brought back the fun of breakbeat slicing for me. I love to use nerdseq like the clipview in ableton and enjoy editing the patterns live.
However, I'm frequently running into a few smaller issues that quickly cause disaster in a live situation. My biggest gripe is the input of the effects. While scrolling through the massive list of effects, these are already active and can cause huge mayhem (setting tempo, active playing pattern, break, ...) once the sequencer plays the step that is currently being edited.
I think this could be much improved by having a way to edit the effect in a separate menu and to commit the effect into the sequencer.
For example you could press OK on the effect field which brings up this menu. In this menu, the commands could be grouped together in multiple lines to allow quick access, for example for trigger commands, sample related effects, etc. The ones most likely to be used should be at the top for quick access. I would essentially imagine this as a 2D array of effect commands.
This means while you select the effect, it would not be active, but only go live once you press enter to insert it. In this screen you could also enter the actual effect values to avoid disaster while scrolling through, for example when setting up the sample offset. Maybe this could even be considered for the note column as well but I feel that note entry is much more fluent than effect values.
The most frequent way I run into this:
I set a BREAK command after 16 steps and then want to start slicing the break. But since BREAK now was the last active command, when I want to change sample offset somewhere I will instead insert BREAK. And at 170 bpm chances are high that your pattern then is thrown out of sync. Bonus points for accidentally triggering STSP in the process which basically means game over.
Another minor annoyance: when entering offset commands and you press shift + arrow up it will go to the highest possible value, however you cannot delete this value again but have to painstakingly scroll down both fields. (shift + down arrow down does not work). I feel like this behavior is wrong in multiple ways:
- The higher byte can only go from 0-16, shift + up should use a slower increment, maybe 4?
- Shift + down arrow should go all the way to zero (this is true for the cursor being on high or low byte)
- Editing the higher byte should not change the lower byte
Using shift+down arrow on the effect column does not go all the way to zero either
And lastly, for convenience it would be nice when setting up the BPM value command if the bpm value could be displayed in decimal somewhere. I also noticed that the BPM value of nerdseq seems to be incorrect: When syncing elektron devices to nerdseq, they report a higher BPM than what nerdseq claims. Found the option to show the decimal value. It does not work for midi program change though. Wrong bpm was fixed by updating the firmware. I missed the the 1.21A update over 1.21.
Sorry for this long wall of text, I love my nerdseq despite these frustrations

edit: rembered two more suggestions:
It would be awesome to allow one of the CV inputs to be used to enter effect values / notes / etc that currently are under the cursor. I thought that Cursor CV would be the correct input but I cannot get it to work.
For the sample load menu it would be awesome if nerdseq would remember the last folder visited and maybe even remember the last sample selected.

