Posts: 11
Threads: 1
Joined: Jan 2020
Reputation:
0
Hi, I have searched and cant find a similar problem on the forum. I'm running the latest FW. I'm sending triggers from the Nerdseq to the gate input of the Doepfer A142-2 Dual Envelope Controlled VCA and the trigger was not triggering the envelope. I thought it was a problem with the VCA so i tried triggers from other modules, which worked. I have not had issues triggering other modules from all 6 channels, so thought the VCA was being finickety. I tried other trigger outs on Nerdseq and found that its was triggering on track 5 and 6 OK. So I went into calibration and metered the trigger outputs and all looked Ok (0v and 5.03v). I set up an identical looping single note (40ms trig) on each track 1 -6 and moved the same patch lead from 1 to 6 in turn and the VCA only triggered in trigger outputs 5 and 6. I reset everything and got the same result, i also tried a range of different trig lengths with the same result.
Any ideas why this might be? Anything else I can try?
Thanks
Posts: 4.126
Threads: 138
Joined: Jul 2017
Reputation:
247
Can you measure the Trigger outputs with the VCA connected please?
Can you try to trigger the envelope via set gate/reset gate instead of setting triggers and is there a difference then? ( 1 step FE and the next step 00 in the trigger column)1
PLEASE use the search function if something have been asked or discussed before.
Every (unnessesary) forum support means less time to develop! But of course, i am here to help!
Posts: 11
Threads: 1
Joined: Jan 2020
Reputation:
0
(07-02-2020, 09:53 PM)XORadmin Wrote: Can you measure the Trigger outputs with the VCA connected please?
Can you try to trigger the envelope via set gate/reset gate instead of setting triggers and is there a difference then? ( 1 step FE and the next step 00 in the trigger column)1
Hi, thanks for the prompt response. The trigger outputs 1 - 6 are 4.9v when connected to the VCA. I tried FE then 00 next step and separated by several steps. works on 5 and 6, but not on 1, 2, 3 and 4. Ran the same pattern on all 6 channels.
Thanks
Posts: 4.126
Threads: 138
Joined: Jul 2017
Reputation:
247
That is weird. The signals look all good.
Do you have a scope where you can compare the 2 triggers like from track 1 and 6?
I remember there was one doepfer module which had issues with gates, but a fix with the doepfer module solved the problem. And then also it shouldn't be an issue of only 4 outputs.
I assume you start with a naked project, no probability or anything like this on. No inverted triggers.
PLEASE use the search function if something have been asked or discussed before.
Every (unnessesary) forum support means less time to develop! But of course, i am here to help!
Posts: 11
Threads: 1
Joined: Jan 2020
Reputation:
0
07-03-2020, 04:55 PM
(This post was last modified: 07-03-2020, 05:27 PM by TonyBunn.)
Posts: 4.126
Threads: 138
Joined: Jul 2017
Reputation:
247
(07-03-2020, 04:55 PM)TonyBunn Wrote: (07-03-2020, 12:56 PM)XORadmin Wrote: That is weird. The signals look all good.
Do you have a scope where you can compare the 2 triggers like from track 1 and 6?
I remember there was one doepfer module which had issues with gates, but a fix with the doepfer module solved the problem. And then also it shouldn't be an issue of only 4 outputs.
I assume you start with a naked project, no probability or anything like this on. No inverted triggers.
Hi, Yes, very weird, cant work it out. Yes, naked project. see pics on pattern and first triggers - others in next post.
Appreciate your help.
other 3 trig pics
These traces were taken with the VCA attachedm, same lead moving from socket to socket - the vca only triggers on 5 and 6.
Thanks
I have no explanation for that. In the pictures the good signals are generated in all cases and the Doepfer should normally response to that correctly.
Did you try to use it maybe with a buffered multiple?
PLEASE use the search function if something have been asked or discussed before.
Every (unnessesary) forum support means less time to develop! But of course, i am here to help!
Posts: 11
Threads: 1
Joined: Jan 2020
Reputation:
0
(07-05-2020, 06:14 PM)XORadmin Wrote: (07-03-2020, 04:55 PM)TonyBunn Wrote: (07-03-2020, 12:56 PM)XORadmin Wrote: That is weird. The signals look all good.
Do you have a scope where you can compare the 2 triggers like from track 1 and 6?
I remember there was one doepfer module which had issues with gates, but a fix with the doepfer module solved the problem. And then also it shouldn't be an issue of only 4 outputs.
I assume you start with a naked project, no probability or anything like this on. No inverted triggers.
Hi, Yes, very weird, cant work it out. Yes, naked project. see pics on pattern and first triggers - others in next post.
Appreciate your help.
other 3 trig pics
These traces were taken with the VCA attachedm, same lead moving from socket to socket - the vca only triggers on 5 and 6.
Thanks
I have no explanation for that. In the pictures the good signals are generated in all cases and the Doepfer should normally response to that correctly.
Did you try to use it maybe with a buffered multiple?
Thanks I will give it a try. I dont have a way of boosting the CV, but looking at modules that can do that.
I assume there's no way of increasing the trigger output? Maybe Doepfer modules need a stronger trig.
Thanks
Tony
Posts: 4.126
Threads: 138
Joined: Jul 2017
Reputation:
247
I checked the Doepfer manual, but it doesn’t say which levels are needed.
But usually for a gate/trigger input, even less voltage is needed to trigger/gate.
You can try just with a CV or Mod outout. Making it like slighly over 5 vplt and 0.
PLEASE use the search function if something have been asked or discussed before.
Every (unnessesary) forum support means less time to develop! But of course, i am here to help!
Posts: 11
Threads: 1
Joined: Jan 2020
Reputation:
0
(07-06-2020, 05:14 AM)XORadmin Wrote: I checked the Doepfer manual, but it doesn’t say which levels are needed.
But usually for a gate/trigger input, even less voltage is needed to trigger/gate.
You can try just with a CV or Mod outout. Making it like slighly over 5 vplt and 0.
Thanks - tried the MOD output on Track 1. I increased the MOD value until I got a trigger on the attack phase of the VCA envelope. The trigger works correctly at value 333 - see photo below. The strange thing is on the scope the MOD output varies slightly around 2v and still triggers the VCA. Whereas the triggers which measure 3.46 to 3.54v are not triggering the VCA. So i'm baffled. Is there something subtly different about the trigger outputs? Current or impedance?.
So in this set up the MODs trigger the VCA and the triggers of various durations do not. Same leads all with scope connected.
Thanks for your help with this. I could run using MOD instead of trigger, but I wanted to use the MOD out for modulation.
Cheers
Tony
Posts: 4.126
Threads: 138
Joined: Jul 2017
Reputation:
247
(07-06-2020, 05:40 PM)TonyBunn Wrote: (07-06-2020, 05:14 AM)XORadmin Wrote: I checked the Doepfer manual, but it doesn’t say which levels are needed.
But usually for a gate/trigger input, even less voltage is needed to trigger/gate.
You can try just with a CV or Mod outout. Making it like slighly over 5 vplt and 0.
Thanks - tried the MOD output on Track 1. I increased the MOD value until I got a trigger on the attack phase of the VCA envelope. The trigger works correctly at value 333 - see photo below. The strange thing is on the scope the MOD output varies slightly around 2v and still triggers the VCA. Whereas the triggers which measure 3.46 to 3.54v are not triggering the VCA. So i'm baffled. Is there something subtly different about the trigger outputs? Current or impedance?.
So in this set up the MODs trigger the VCA and the triggers of various durations do not. Same leads all with scope connected.
Thanks for your help with this. I could run using MOD instead of trigger, but I wanted to use the MOD out for modulation.
Cheers
Tony
Where do you get the in the trigger outs of 3.46 volt from? I see normal levels around 5 volt in your scope pictures.
PLEASE use the search function if something have been asked or discussed before.
Every (unnessesary) forum support means less time to develop! But of course, i am here to help!
|