Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
spfx problem - not stopping
#1
Hi, 

I'm new to the NerdSeq, which means my problem might just be me as a newbie to this module. 

So, the problem I'm getting is that when I set the SPFX 00C command and then delete it, it keeps on playing/working. The only way to clear the FX is to literally wipe (meaning delete) the pattern. 

BTW, I've also noticed that this just jumps to anywhere in the 64 steps. But in the manual it says it should randomly jump within the pattern length. Doesn't that mean within the 'break' points? 

So, what am I doing wrong, or is this a bug? 

Thanks in advance.

===================================

For your information since I just bought the module, I immediately updated the firmware to 1.25A. 

p.s. This problem might be happening on other effects, but as you might imagine it's probably not so obvious as the randomly 'jumping around' SPFX.
Reply
#2
Hi, it should not be executed anymore when you deleted it, so I guess you got the command still on another FX or you are playing another pattern. Please check that.

About the patternlength, this is not the BRK command. BRK does also stop patterns, but it doesn’t define the patternlength. (Just imagine multiple BRK within 1 pattern…what should be the length then).
You can change the length of a pattern in the Nerd menu. The jump will indeed jump then only within the length. In the setup menu you can also define a default length for new patterns which is handy if you use only 16 step patterns for expample…
PLEASE use the search function if something have been asked or discussed before.
Every (unnessesary) forum support means less time to develop! But of course, i am here to help!  Smile
Reply
#3
So firstly, I've already checked if the SPFX 00C was being triggered elsewhere (Slot 2 - 4), but it isn't. Just a few minutes ago I tried a couple of solutions 
  • mark+copy (and only the note information), make a new pattern - spfx 00C still there
  • shift+ok (to clone) - naturally, spfx still there
Finally, I just switched the module off/on and started again [Image: undecided.png], spfx/problem gone.

Secondly, "About the pattern length, this is not the BRK command [...]", okay, I misunderstood. So, if you wish to use the SPFX 00C within the/a pattern length, you need to adjust that particular length in the Pattern Menu. Okay, I'll try that, it sounds interesting as I was thinking how it's possible to just get random note values (using a certain scale). This might be one solution, thanks.  
Reply
#4
I imagine that since there's nobody with an answer (or solution) to this problem, I'll move this to the bug report later today.

If anyone sees this and has some suggestions, please feel free to chip in.
Reply
#5
(06-06-2022, 07:51 AM)joesh Wrote: I imagine that since there's nobody with an answer (or solution) to this problem, I'll move this to the bug report later today.

If anyone sees this and has some suggestions, please feel free to chip in.

If you can reproduce this somehow and if you are sure that there is nothing else causing this problem (tables, patches, automator, another pattern or what else) then of course post it in the bug reports. 
Did you save the project where this happened? So is the SPFX command also visually there or is there a —- at that position? If there is a —- then I don’t see why it can still be executed since the visual and the player get the information from the same memory position. That’s why I suspect something else in the first place. 

Your Idea to play scaled notes randomly is interresting. You can also use tables for it which is probably more comfortable. Either use generally random notes (within a range) and let them be scaled through the tables or let the table generate the randomness within a range selected by the table.
PLEASE use the search function if something have been asked or discussed before.
Every (unnessesary) forum support means less time to develop! But of course, i am here to help!  Smile
Reply
#6
Firstly, thanks for the suggestions (for the random idea), I'll have a go at that and see if I can master it - it's only my second day with the module, so I need a bit of time to understand the various commands etc.

As for the SPFX, I'll make another program and see what happens. However, it's happened twice yesterday so maybe I can get it to repeat the problem. As for you question about deleting the command, the answer is that I totally deleted the command (I'm 99% sure), which meant that all that was left were the ----- --- in the FX section. Out of interest, the first time it happened it was in a Table (the 2nd time was in a pattern FX slot).
Reply
#7
Yes if there is a way to reproduce it then I can see whats going on.

And yeah, the 2nd day…so there is still very much for you to explore.
PLEASE use the search function if something have been asked or discussed before.
Every (unnessesary) forum support means less time to develop! But of course, i am here to help!  Smile
Reply
#8
Ok, I'm back with the bug, or whatever. 

In this case I was trying out the envelopes (on Pattern 00 - track 1). However, it wasn't working as I'd hoped and so I deleted the Envelope and naturally the FX call in the FX lane N°1. I then tried to run that pattern, yet there is now no sound. It seems the envelope is still active even though it's been deleted - Shift+Delete. 

Next, you'll notice for a test, I added a pattern lower down the track, pattern 06. It's a completely independent pattern, however, because it's in track1 it doesn't sound, because I imagine the Env/FX is still affecting everything in track 1.

Now, to make it even more interesting. If you now duplicate/add pattern 06 on the same line, but in (example) track 3, you'll notice the pattern plays fine. And, if you now select and play the whole line 06, 06, you'll notice that the pattern 06 plays in track 3 and now the envelope releases track 1, although it doesn't play the correct notes. 

Anyhow, maybe you can make some sense of this. I have to say, I'm surprised nobody else seems to have this problem, most strange.

Let me know what I should do - if you find the solution, great, if not, maybe I should move this to the bug report? 

Thanks again for you help.


Attached Files
.nrd   BUG.NRD (Size: 433,53 KB / Downloads: 1)
Reply
#9
(06-06-2022, 04:32 PM)joesh Wrote: Ok, I'm back with the bug, or whatever. 

In this case I was trying out the envelopes (on Pattern 00 - track 1). However, it wasn't working as I'd hoped and so I deleted the Envelope and naturally the FX call in the FX lane N°1. I then tried to run that pattern, yet there is now no sound. It seems the envelope is still active even though it's been deleted - Shift+Delete. 

Next, you'll notice for a test, I added a pattern lower down the track, pattern 06. It's a completely independent pattern, however, because it's in track1 it doesn't sound, because I imagine the Env/FX is still affecting everything in track 1.

Now, to make it even more interesting. If you now duplicate/add pattern 06 on the same line, but in (example) track 3, you'll notice the pattern plays fine. And, if you now select and play the whole line 06, 06, you'll notice that the pattern 06 plays in track 3 and now the envelope releases track 1, although it doesn't play the correct notes. 

Anyhow, maybe you can make some sense of this. I have to say, I'm surprised nobody else seems to have this problem, most strange.

Let me know what I should do - if you find the solution, great, if not, maybe I should move this to the bug report? 

Thanks again for you help.
Thanks for the project, I will check it out.
Still I don’t think it’s a bug ;-)
PLEASE use the search function if something have been asked or discussed before.
Every (unnessesary) forum support means less time to develop! But of course, i am here to help!  Smile
Reply
#10
(06-06-2022, 04:41 PM)XORadmin Wrote:
(06-06-2022, 04:32 PM)joesh Wrote: Ok, I'm back with the bug, or whatever. 

In this case I was trying out the envelopes (on Pattern 00 - track 1). However, it wasn't working as I'd hoped and so I deleted the Envelope and naturally the FX call in the FX lane N°1. I then tried to run that pattern, yet there is now no sound. It seems the envelope is still active even though it's been deleted - Shift+Delete. 

Next, you'll notice for a test, I added a pattern lower down the track, pattern 06. It's a completely independent pattern, however, because it's in track1 it doesn't sound, because I imagine the Env/FX is still affecting everything in track 1.

Now, to make it even more interesting. If you now duplicate/add pattern 06 on the same line, but in (example) track 3, you'll notice the pattern plays fine. And, if you now select and play the whole line 06, 06, you'll notice that the pattern 06 plays in track 3 and now the envelope releases track 1, although it doesn't play the correct notes. 

Anyhow, maybe you can make some sense of this. I have to say, I'm surprised nobody else seems to have this problem, most strange.

Let me know what I should do - if you find the solution, great, if not, maybe I should move this to the bug report? 

Thanks again for you help.
Thanks for the project, I will check it out.
Still I don’t think it’s a bug ;-)

The envelope is set to be gated from Trigger/Gate and as destination the output of CV1.
First, it doesn't need any FX command here to be executed then. Only when the gate is being set (which it is when playing a note), so the envelope is started and outputs on CV1.
The envelope overrules indeed the note you expect. So that is not a bug but the wanted behaviour.
You might want to use the MOD output as the envelope destination so it doesn't interfere with the notes you want to play.
PLEASE use the search function if something have been asked or discussed before.
Every (unnessesary) forum support means less time to develop! But of course, i am here to help!  Smile
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)